Friday, January 16, 2009

Midori Sushi: Green, Clean, the Perfect Scene


After a terrible meal at Charlie Brown's last week, and a not-so-stunning meal at Aposto, I was craving something new and preferably not so expensive. As my friend Eve and I walked along Raritan, we spotted Midori Sushi down the block and decided to go there. People all across town and even outside of Highland Park have raved about this restaurant to me. 
Walking inside, I was immediately impressed with the atmosphere. While some restaurants choose to have extremely bright or extremely dark colors, with TVs on, and bright lights, Midori was quite different. The relatively small place was painted different shades of green and white, all very soothing. Everything from the pieces of art to the lights to the real palm tree in the corner was calming, clean, and aesthetically pleasing. The music followed in the same fashion. Instead of a radio or TV, there was simply a CD with a piano playing in the background, adding an extra touch to the rest of the room. 
We were seated in the smaller room with only three tables directly off the main room. While I usually get really claustrophobic in small rooms, the large window to our right and the bright, colorful lights about us helped make the space seem bigger. When we were handed our menus, we decided we wanted to share dishes so as to each be able to try more. 
The menu looked quite delicious. The dishes ranged from soups and appetizers to sushi rolls, larger dishes, and desserts. Along with the book menu was another sheet with the specials, all of which, unfortunately, contained meat. We looked around in the menu to see what vegetarian options there were. We found a number of veggie appetizers, such as dumplings, spring rolls, soups and a salad. Even though most of the main dinner sections were meat or fish oriented, t
here was usually a vegetarian option under each one. 
We decided to order one vegetarian Teriyaki and one order of avocado sushi rolls. With these two selections they brought a bowl of miso soup as well as a small salad (with a great ginger dressing). When they brought our dishes, our mouths began to water. The Teriyaki looked so delicious and flavorful, we couldn't wait to dig in, though I did manage to snap a picture before starting.

It contained mushrooms, zucchini, onions, broccoli, and peppers, accompanied by two slices of orange, carrot, and parsley. We decided a few bites in that the onions and broccoli were definitely our favorite part. Both were perfectly succulent, but the onions in particular were amazing. You know how often when you cook raw onions, they still sting your eyes a little or give your mouth that sour-onion taste? Well these onions didn't. They were perfect. They were crunchy but not too spicy, and they didn't make me feel like I would just smell like onions afterwards. 

The avocado rolls were great, too. They were a simple platter of six pieces of sushi, each with rice and avocado wrapped in nori. They were served with soy sauce and wasabi, both of which complimented the sushi nicely. After finishing two delightful dishes, we decided we couldn't just stop eating. We proceeded to order Midori's fried ice cream, because Eve had never tried it before.
When they brought it, we were just as excited as before we had eaten anything. It looked yummy, cut in half on a plate with a delicate portion of whipped cream between the halves. We pretty much scarfed it down in less than five minutes, unable to pace ourselves with this delight. 
We got the check a few minutes later, and we shocked to find that our three order added up to a total of only $19.20. It was a miracle! Finally some really tasty food that didn't force me to scrape up every penny I had! Eve and I stared at each other in our moment of disbelief before paying and leaving, happy to know another restaurant to return to. 

Rating: out of ★★★★★ (✫=1/2)
Food: ★★★★✫
Service:★★★★✫
Atmosphere: ★★★★★
Vegetarian Variety: ★★

Midori Sushi
237 Raritan Avenue
Highland Park, NJ 08904

(732)246-4511


21 comments:

  1. Hey Robin, you are really getting the hang of restaurant reviewing: each review is better than the next! This one really flows well and the addition of the picture (keep it up) and link is great. Maybe our food and culture class could do some lunches in Highland Park?? With you as our guide, of course.

    This place sounds well worth a visit and you're right about the prices--those hand roll prices are about the lowest I've ever seen.

    Did you notice they have a "Media Review" sidebar? I have a tip for you, Robin: print off your review, take it there, and ask if they'd like to add it to their media review. Make sure your blogspot address is on it. This is a way to increase your audience...someone reads your review, likes your writing, is looking for more HP places,and clicks on your blog! (this is the ideal scenario anyway0. Worth a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin, it's me again--this time with a request for help! I found a link to one of the restaurants I reviewed (the one that's still open :)...and I tried to attach the link but got stymied.

    Can you reply to this with a walk-through of how to attach a link? The image attachment I think I understand, the link is defeating me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a cute tittle, and the pciture was a great idea to provide!!! I'm a big sushi fan maybe i should try it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Siobhan: Thanks for that compliment.. I am definitely trying harder to make it cohesive and fluid.
    The food and culture class should DEFINITELY eat lunch in the HP/NB area.. there are some wonderful places.
    Also, how do I take my reviews to the Media Review sidebar? I wouldn't know where to start..

    Here is how to do post a link:
    1. From your blog page, click on "Customize"
    2. Go to "Posting" (next to "Setting)
    3. Go to create
    4. Type in the words as you want the link to appear anywhere on the page
    -for example, if you want to show the web address type "www.highlandpark.com", or you could say "Click here to view a menu"
    5. Highlight those words that you want the viewer to click on to get to the link
    6. Click on the "Link" button (next to the text color button) while that text is still highlighted
    7. type in the URL of the website *and make sure to start with http://, not just www.
    8. click ok
    9. save your post

    That should work.. I hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eden: thank you, and I definitely recommend this place.. it was delicious and had some pretty inexpensive options.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the amount of detail that you put into this article along with all your other reviews. And the visual of one of the dishes served at the place was a really nice touch. I'm not a fan of sushi...I'm actually not a fan of raw anything but I still enjoyed reading about your opinions on the place. I've kind of sworn off all Asian food. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw I'm sorry to hear about your dislike of Asian foods! If you ever decide to someday give it another shot, Midori is a great place to go.. a lot of options. The veggie teriyaki was lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Robin! When I dig out from under this pile of freshmen research paper drafts :( I'll attempt a new techno-feat.

    And I meant to say, love the title. It's hip.

    Re: media review. Take your review to the restaurant and ask them if they'd like to post it on the Media Review section of their webpage. If they want it they'll know how to do it. Just make sure they have your blog address at the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish you luck with the link :)

    I will definitely consider doing that.. I need to muster up the nerve first..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't really like sushi and I'm allergic to most Asian cuisine because a lot of it is cooked in peanut oil, but I do say, this article is well written and it sounds like you had a really good meal. I also liked that fact that you put a picture in!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw man I feel so bad.. hardly anyone seems like to this type of food! But thank you; I'm glad you could at least enjoy the article!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lol. I used to be a fan of Asian food. But certain changes in my diet and companionship have changed my views. No worries though. This was still a solid review and I enjoy very much reading about your opinions on these places. <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, Robin, I'M a huge fan of Asian food--so you have at least one reader who is tempted by your review!
    Jeff, you should try a california roll: no peanut oil. In fact, I'm thinking a class lunch trip (Tues after exams?) might be in order!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Emma: I understand.. I know I, for one, have changed my opinions about a lot of different foods.

    Siobhan: Oh good, I am glad to hear it! And yes, a class trip should take place to SOMEWHERE! Tuesday a week from when exams start? How would that work? :-O

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am not a big fan of Asian food....especially of Japanese food....I found that they had way too many veggies....I have gone to only one in my life...EDO....and well I didn't like it very much...but this place looks very cozy...maybe I'll give this place a try...how did you take that picture without them thinking you were a critic?.....lol....
    P.S
    The place was probably green and such because it has it in the name
    Midori=みどり(japanese)=Green
    : ) I laughed because you had it in your title and wasn't sure if you knew...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Juan: I actually DID know.. man I should've actually mentioned it, huh? lol way to go me... how did you know?
    You should DEFINITELY try it.. they have other things besides veggies. The meat teriyakis, I've heard, are good, too!
    I'm not sure.. I was just like "ooh look the plate it so pretty" and acted like I just wanted it as a souvenir .. They may have just though I was weird, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was thinking a week from Tuesday, our first day back after finals and we have a special schedule. But we'd need a day with community time and I'm not sure we do, that day. Hmmm, maybe we need to wait to do it with the F&C class.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh! Yeah.. we should definitely try to find a way to do that!! .

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry Siobhan, I've tried a California roll, not a big fan. Sushi just doesn't look appetizing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. O ok....I know because I take Japanese III
    So yea it was a little funny
    And I would try the meat teriyakis, although the sushi is not my favorite food... : [

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jeff: they have one special called the "sweetheart" sushi.. sounds cheesy, LOOKS cheesy, but it is LITERALLY one of the most DELICIOUS foods I have ever tasted. It's got meat, otherwise I'd be eating it right now.. but I hope that you will try that someday.. if anything could break my vegetarianism, it'd be those sweetheart rolls..

    Juan: oh haha I didn't know you took Japanese! I really wanted to..

    ReplyDelete