Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Charlie Brown's: Worth the Money?

I usually visit and review more independent and original restaurants. However, last week I went to eat at Charlie Brown's with my sister and a friend, and I just couldn't help but write about it. 
Over the years I've been in Highland Park, I have eaten at Charlie Brown's quite a few times. I've seen them change their booths, get rid of their old "library," and see the new decor on the walls. The atmosphere used to be homey, with nice vibrant colors and people eating and laughing. Now, however, it was nearly empty. The walls were repainted a dark maroon color with weird pictures and objects hanging on the walls (like half a bicycle). To be honest, it just wasn't a pleasant place to be. 
Their food has, for the most part, stayed the same. At least on the menu. This last time when I went there, Anna, Becca, and I were seated at a book in the front room. We sat down and immediately noticed a rather unpleasant smell which surrounded us. I usually try not to make a fuss at restaurants, because I know it must annoy the staff, but we really could not eat in that atmosphere. We asked to be seated in another section, and although I could see the look of annoyance in the waiter's eye, he smiled and seated us in the back.
Happy to breathe some fresh(er) air, we looked at the menu. Anna, who had not been there in a year or two, was shocked at the numbers. I hadn't realized it myself until she pointed it out: the prices had risen enormously in the past few years alone. The salad bar, which used to cost between six and eight dollars, was no $10.79! The mozzarella sticks were now $7.49, and those are both appetizers. Unprepared for these costs, my sister and I literally had to spill out all our money to see what we could afford. 
The other issue was the options. Seeing as my sister and I are both vegetarians, that was an important factor. Unfortunately, the only vegetarian choices were a few appetizers, salads, soups, and one or two entrees. Now even though Charlie Brown's is known as a "steakhouse," it is important for any restaurant to offer foods for all people. Finally deciding to share the salad bar and an order of onion rings, plus drinks. 
I left Anna and Becca to wait for the appetizers while I went to get food from the salad bar. I was impressed by the selections, including not only traditional lettuce, but onion salads, egg salad, noodle salads, and various olives and such. It looked tasty, and my hopes were high.
When I returned to the table, we dug into the salad, excited to eat. When I ate the first bite, however, I was disappointed. The salads were full of oils and ingredients that made me feel dirty and greasy. It this was their "healthy," "vegetarian" option, I could not believe it. Even as we were leaving, Anna commented "I always feel sick after eating that kind of food."
When the onion rings arrived, it was clear that they were not meant to be shared. There were only four of them, and they were huge. One alone was two inches in width with a circumference of maybe eight inches. Just looking at them kind of scared me! 
When the check came, we were all glad to get up and leave. But when I looked at the check, I was shocked at the amount written. For just the few things we had ordered, the check was over twenty dollars, not counting the tip. We paid and walked back to the front, noticing again that awful smell. It's never a good thing when you leave a restaurant wishing you hadn't eaten.

Rating: out of ★★★★★ (✫=1/2)
Food: ★
Service: ★★✫
Atmosphere: ★✫
Vegetarian variety: ★

Charlie Brown's
247 Raritan Avenue
Highland Park, NJ 08904

(732)545-1778



18 comments:

  1. I'm going to listen to you and never eat in this restaurant. It sounds horrible! The smell, the food, the prices... I'm sorry you had to go through this experience. Maybe you should tip off the health inspector about the funky smell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The funny thing is, is that it's a chain restaurant, but there are only a few in NY, NJ, and PA combined. It must not be very popular :/ .. hmm.. That's a good idea, actually, about the health inspector!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Robin, interesting to read a critical/trashing review...this one was actually my favorite, probably b/c it was the funniest. It's hard to be funny and praising at the same time, but when a place is bad...go for it.

    I, too, would never step foot in this place after reading your review. Gross! Smelly, expensive, bad food. Wow. They deserve to close and as a food critic you're doing a public service :)

    Being scared of the onion rings was priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Were other people eating there too when you went? I would have liked to have heard some reactions by other customers, maybe even a waiter or waitress who works there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Siobhan: thanks for that :) It's hard to NOT be funny when writing about a place like that! I, myself, have wondered why they are still open. Probably because they have a bar.. but I didn't go there, for obvious reasons.

    and Jeff: There were two elderly people in the front section, and one other couple in the back. That was it. I would've been interested to hear their opinions, too, but as a food critic I am not allowed to reveal myself and ask them questions.. :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree with you, Robin! The prices have gone up and the food hasn't gotten any better. In fact, the only thing I used to like there was salmon and broccholi - but the piece of salmon was so miniscule you had to dig for it under the broccholi like looking for gold in a coal mine!

    And, as you point out, the atmosphere and decor have markedly deteriorated - it doesn't feel "homey" at all any more, like it did in the old days.
    Poldi Binder

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poldi: thanks for the comment.. Basically, the place got kind of crummy :/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ewww. To me, when I'm eating out, two things are the most important: atmosphere and who you're eating with. If a place smells funky, then it's going to murder my taste buds and, even if the food was good (which you made it clear it wasn't), I wouldn't be able to enjoy it. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is true. Atmosphere is very important... if it's bad, it makes everything else seem worse too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'd frequented this place in the past and really liked the countless trips to the salad bar to refill my plate until one day in my cole slaw salad i discovered some broken glass. it was crunchy in texture, had no unpleasant odor, and tastat not too sharp on the tongue, but i was nonetheless unprepared to eat it that day. the server and the manager were, however, very kind in offering some free dessert to help me digest the glass. i haven't been in there too often since then.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Misha, all you got was a free dessert??? Broken glass in the coleslaw is life-threatening and warranted WAY more...like a $100 gift certificate.
    So now we can add "cheap" to the list of their faults. But then again, why would you want to eat $100 worth of their dangerous food? With every post this place sounds worse and worse!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. haha, well I wont be eating there, but thanks for the tip....I hate going to places that are so over priced like that, especially if you're out with friends its annoying ha

    ReplyDelete
  13. It seems this place has earned quite a bad reputation. I definitely won't be eating here any time soon. When you're out with friends ordering something like onion rings you shouldn't have to spend an obscene amount of money. That's what fancier places are for. <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, especially with friends, this place is terrible. And you can't even share onion rings that are the size of your hands!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yea I agree with Jeff....a tip to the health inspector should whip this restaurant back into place...I love the article....but I don't know if I'm going to NOT go to this place...there is one in Hillsborough near my parents store....and I've always was curious of going inside....O and yea it is geared towards people with MEAT EATING habits...lol ; )
    I have never heard someone say the food they just ate made them feel "dirty"...hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  16. Argh you will never let me hear the end of this will you? lol.. But yes, it is "Charlie Brown's Steakhouse" no?
    .. a lot of unhealthy foods make me feel unclean. Has it never happened to you?

    ReplyDelete
  17. No, I just feel my arteries clogging up...lol
    But, yea I might go to this place as soon as I can to see what you mean
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha YOu'll have to let me know what happens! Tell me how the meat is .. carnivore :P

    ReplyDelete